Canon Shanahan PP 1975-93
Fr James Larkin 1976-86
Fr Desmond Hogan 1079-84
Fr Mark Fitzgerald 1984-85
Fr Donal Quill 1985-88
Fr Patrick Littleton 1986-97
Fr Alan Mooney 1988-90
Fr Desmond Hayden 1991-93
Fr Michael O’Leary 1993-95
Fr Leo Quinlan PP 1995-2007
Fr Patrick Ryan 1996-04
Fr Kieran Coghlan 1997-06
Fr Padraic O’Sullivan 2006-07
Fr Richard Hyland PP 2007-
Fr Risteard Shannon 2007-12
Fr Jim Kenny 2012-
Fr Patrick O'Gorman PP 1936-1949
Fr Edward Collier - 1942
Fr Paul Phelan - 1942
Fr J M Sherwin 1942-1952
Fr G J Kelly 1944-1947
Fr Richard Casey PP 1949-1960
Fr Geo O'Sullivan 1947-1952
Fr John Flynn 1952-1959
Fr John Dempsey 1953-1955
Fr John Masterson PP 1961
Fr Sean Cleary 1955-1961
Fr Patrick Leahy 1959-1968
Fr John Redmond 1961-1971
Fr Frederick Molloy 1966
Fr Dermot Connolly 1968 -1979
Fr Wm Fortune 1971 -1976
PARISH CLERGY OVER THE YEARS
RUIN ON ST PATRICK’S ISLAND

When St. Patrick was expelled from Wicklow by the pagan
natives, he sailed northward and landed on a small island off
Skerries. In his honour it became known as St. Patrick's island.
When the saint arrived on the island he was accompanied by a
goatwhich provided milk.

From this island St. Patrick would come to the mainland to
convert the people. While the saint was ashore on a missionary
trip the people of Skerries visited the island and stole his goat.
They killed, cooked and feasted on it. When St. Patrick came
back to the island he found his goat missing. This made him very
angry and in two giant strides he reached the mainland. The first
step took him to the back of Colt Island, the second to Red Island
where he confronted the people of Skerries. They tried to deny
having seen his goat but found they could only bleat. When they
told the saint the truth about his goat their voices returned.

To this day St. Patrick's footprint, where he stepped on to the
south side of Red Island, can be seen in the rocks at the bathing
area while the nickname Skerries Goat is givento the people of the
town to remind them of this deed.
In 1989, the 50th anniversary of the building of the present
St. Patrick's Church, it was decided to commission a bronze
goat's head and mount it on the wall hus giving St. Patrick back
his goat. The inscription around the plaque reads "quid nostrum
fuit reddituum est propter deum et necessarios amicos mcmlxxxix"
which roughly translates as "that which was ours is restored on
account of God and necessary friendship 1989".


THE SKERRIES GOAT LEGEND

Skerries is a seaside town situated on the east coast of
Ireland about eighteen miles north of Dublin.
St. Patrick's Parish was constituted in 1730 from the
neighbouring parish of Lusk.Christianity has a long history
in this area dating back to the 6th century when a monastic settlement was established on St. Patrick's Island or Church
Island situated about one mile off the coast of Skerries.

It is said that St. Patrick landed on this island on his mission
to convert Ireland to Christianity, hence the island's name
and the reason for the monastic settlement on it from such
an early time. Later in the 13th century the monastic
community moved to the mainland and became known as
the Priory of Holmpatrick.



There still remains the ruins of an early 12th century church on
St. Patrick's Island. Look through the last remaining window
frame and you'll see the silhouette of a bishop, a clue to the
island's history. In the town itself there is the remains of a
church tower dating from the 18th century.
Three Christian denominations, Roman Catholic, Church of
Ireland and Methodist have churches in the town today.

The present Church of St. Patrick is just sixty years old
and replaced an older church on the same site.
The bell tower of the old church was retained and the
bell still tolls daily inviting people to prayer.

ST PATRICK AND SKERRIES